Wednesday, September 26, 2012

248 Days (Or How Out-Of-Shape I Really Am, And The Implications Thereof)

One of the things that Texas 4000 is really good at is getting us in shape.  Unfortunately for me, we've really taken off running for this whole "fitness" thing.

Three weeks ago we had a fitness 5K test to assess where we are currently and how far we have to go to get ready for our long bike ride.  I ran a twelve minute mile, barely made it to the end, and almost passed out because I didn't actually do the whole "training" thing for the run.  Still, I was proud that I made it and I'm aware of how far I have to go and how hard I'll have to train before June 1.

Before we are allowed to hop on a bike and train for real with the team we have to have a doctor give us a physical and sign us off on it.  I filled out the pre-visit questionnaire honestly; I told them about how winded I get when I exercise, how my grandfather has had at least one heart attack, and about that time in middle school when I thought it would be fun to "do yoga" in the mud and ended up popping my knee out of place.  I wasn't worried about the physical, because I'm a fit person.  I walk to and from class, I was able to conquer biking up the big hill near my house (with struggles, but still), and I was actually able to finish the fitness 5K.

The doctor, however, did not see things that way.  He saw my family history of heart attacks and gave me an EKG, he read that I get winded while exercising and ordered a Pulmonary Functions Test with fitness challenge to see if I have "exercise induced asthma," and he saw that I popped my knee out of place and ordered that I do some strengthening exercises.  He told me that he wouldn't feel comfortable approving me for Texas 4000 because the fitness level is "high school/college level" and I'm "in Pre-K."  He said that "it would be like trying to climb Mt. Everest without being able to climb the hill in the backyard."  Well I've climbed that hill, and I'm going to train for Everest.  It's not going to be easy, but I always knew that Texas 4000 would be hard.  It is going to take dedication and training, and I am eager and willing to put forth that effort.  I am working on scheduling my PFT, I will begin with my knee exercises tonight, and I'm going to leave for Alaska in 248 days.

2 comments: