Wednesday, October 17, 2012

227 Days (Being Sick Tends to Put a Wrench in Things)

Texas 4000, school, volunteer, plan a wedding, train, work, hulu, sleep. . . this is how my life is prioritized right now.  The act of scheduling activities is a concept that is fairly new to me because, up until now, I have never had many activities to schedule.  While I see people around me who are able to successfully juggle multiple commitments, I feel like I am failing to give each activity the attention that it is due.  Between eighteen hours of classes, twelve hours of work, getting fit for the ride, and volunteering each week, I neglected to give myself any time to be sick.  Here I am, in the middle of my busiest day of the week, and can't stop coughing or sneezing.  I couldn't go to the optional workout this morning because I was still groggy from the nyquil, and I can't work tonight because I might get others sick as well.  It would have been nice to make some decent happy-hour tips at The Cactus, but I could look at it "glass half-full" and say that this gives me more time to study for my exam tomorrow morning.

My moment of sunshine comes when I think about the enormous amount of social and financial support I have received from friends and family while fundraising for the ride.  I am so happy to report that I am well over the minimum amount that we are required to raise and, as of five minutes ago, y'all have generously contributed $5,027.75 in the fight against cancer!  I decided to raise my goal from $6,000 to $8,000, and will continue to write letters and panhandle until all resources have been exhausted (which means that I will be raising until we hop on our bikes next June.)

Texas 4000, as you can see, is what I consider to be one of the highest priority items in my life right now.  Today I am sick, but tomorrow I get to go to Jack and Adam's to pick up my bike.  I am going to get well, jump on that bike, and ride to Alaska.

No comments:

Post a Comment