Saturday, December 29, 2012

153 Days (Love Has a Way of Invigorating my Soul)

Christmas is my favorite holiday.  My birthday is and always has been on the 17th of December and, as most Christmas babies will attest, this proximity to such a national holiday can either leave a bitter or a sweet taste in the mouth of the birthday experiencer.  I am happy to report that my parents have always been hyper-vigilant around the holiday season to ensure that my birthday does not get forgotten during such a big holiday season, and because of this I have always loved Christmas.  Maybe it's the double presents that I have always received within a week of each other, maybe it's the fact that James' and my first date was the day before my birthday so he has always lavished gifts on me during a week-and-a-half period, or maybe it's just the smell of pine in every home.  I love Christmas, I love the relaxation, and I am so pleased to be able to spend these past two weeks relaxing with loved ones.

Just like last week, I have been having a hard time getting motivated to hop on my bike and train for the ride.  Within minutes of my last post being published, I received a text from a 2011 Texas 4000 alumnus with suggestions for people that I could ride with during the week.  While I did not end up contacting any of them, his support and quick reaction gave me a much-needed boost to ride around the city.  My first ride was a dud; I filled up my water bottles but forgot them at home.  I had asked James to bring his bicycle to Houston, though, so I had a companion for my second ride that break!  We rode a glorious 30 miles together and, although it wasn't the farthest I've ever gone, it was one of my favorite rides so far.  Something about being around the man that I love has that effect on me; he turns normal situations into my favorite, he's able to motivate me beyond my abilities, and I'm just happier whenever I'm around him.

I'm keeping James company this week in Iraan, TX because he is on call this weekend and we wanted to spend time together while I'm not in school.  It's cold here, and there's not a whole lot to do, but I can't help but be excited that next year we will be having our own Christmas together, in this house, in Iraan.  He was able to get me on the bike to go for a short ride this afternoon, and I have a feeling that we will be doing many more rides together in the coming months and years.

No comments:

Post a Comment